Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day!

I have been reading this blog, http://www.shutterbean.com/, lately and it has been making me super hungry. So, I made 2 recipes from it today!




My food photography is lacking quite a bit! I made Chewy Molasses Ginger cookies.

Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies 
(recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookie Book) 
Makes about 36

 Ingredients:

-2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)

-1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

-1/2 teaspoon salt

-1 1/2 cups sugar

-3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

-1 large egg

-1/4 cup molasses
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms. Put dough in the fridge and chill it for at least an hour.
3. Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.
4. Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days

I pretty much followed the recipe except I didn't have nutmeg so I used pumpkin pie spice. Yum.

I also made zucchini pancakes. They didn't turn out very pancake like, but still very good! Next time I will chop the zucchini smaller and maybe add more flour/egg to thicken them up a bit. I topped the "pancake" with sour cream and fresh dill.

We also had a salad with spinach, avocado, onion and a dressing I made with olive oil, vinegar, lime juice and zest, whole grain mustard, sugar and pepper!

I love summer dinners.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin